Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Face Masking Trends

Cloth masks are trending now. There are videos and instruction sheets on making them everywhere we look. Everything from using those blue shop towels to the vacuum bag variety, but it looks like most of us are making the cotton masks.  Today I watched a video on how to care for your cloth mask. Here's what you do:

  • Take it off as soon as you get home.
  • Wash it with soap, any soap, for at least 20 seconds.
  • Rinse and hang to dry. You'll want some sort of hook for hanging. (My daughter hangs hers from shower curtain hooks)
  • Then wash the sink and wash your hands again.

When wearing, do not touch it. If you do, wash your hands.

I volunteer for animal services here in Las Vegas. The day before yesterday I got a request to make ten cloth masks, using a specific pattern shown on JoAnn's site. I signed up. So now I am committed to making these within the next two weeks. They will arrange a no-contact pick up or delivery. 

I also made some for my younger daughter, who does not sew, and have sent her five for her gang (one didn't have the right length elastic so I made another). My other daughter, Elaine, has made several of her own, using a different pattern. She likes the ones I have been making and asks that I make her some of those too. So I have plenty to do! Especially considering that I am also doing a "challenge" - Isolation Art Challenge. Create art each day, following that day's theme. I have gotten behind in doing it every day but that's okay. I think only a few are sticking to doing it every day on the day.



Today I tried to order some "crafting wire" from Michaels, to pick up at curbside. All over the page were the curbside instructions but they did not work. I had to have it shipped or nothing. So I walked away from that order and will try at JoAnn's next. The wire is for the nose of the face masks. My pattern has a channel for a wire but so far I have not had wire to fill it. It also has a pocket for a filter. I haven't chosen what to use as filters, either.

1,455,525 cases worldwide
83,656 deaths worldwide

402, 471 cases US
12,914 deaths US

2, 102 cases Nevada
71 deaths Nevada

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beat Goes On

Here it is July, the middle of July, and Covid-19 is here with a vengeance. We are faced with thousands of cases every day, so many deat...