Friday, April 24, 2020

Missing

The pool at our apartment complex. For the last few weeks, a crew worked on this pool off and on. They emptied it, took out their jackhammers and removed all of the surface material, then replaced it and filled it with water again. So it is renewed and looks beautiful. But because our maintenance people are not working on anything that is not an emergency now, we can't use it.



The gates to the pool area, which contains tables and chairs, a spa, a barbecue, and a soft drink machine, are blocked. We can't go in there. That is also the way to the complex's workout room, which we cannot use. And needless to say, the inside group area, with soft seating, free coffee and tea, and games is also off-limits. 

That pool looks so inviting. I miss being able to use it.

I also miss a few other things. I am ever grateful for the fact that I get a regular check every month, that I do not have to go out there and find work. So I am left at home, missing things. Last night, as I was drifting off to sleep, I thought about the number of rolls of toilet paper that are in my house. I usually order bulk supplies of TP and paper towels and cat food, but I am not sure I will get my regular order this coming month. Amazon says it is "trying" to fill that order. Honestly, I am sick of the TP jokes and would rather not talk about this, but fact is I am getting close to desperate. I have ordered it from different places several times and it has not been in stock. One order is out there on a delivery truck and has been for two weeks now, and the expected delivery date is anywhere from May 6 to the end of May. That does not give me confidence. 

I have learned, too, to avoid the noname companies selling on Amazon. Their TP may look normal but reviews suggest it is not. Some of them made me laugh: the rolls were doll-size. Or the paper was like sandpaper. I am sticking to known brands and known sellers. Although I have been staying out of stores altogether, I am getting close to going inside one or two to take care of this need. And just today I learned about a way to make almost sure that I will be successful in landing my prey. A website named TP Finder is out there, checking the stocks near me. Actually, it is helpful citizens who enter the information, so we can't be sure there will be any when we get there, but it's better than just wildly going into every store that might have some.

Something else I'd like to have now and then is a glass of wine. There are no laws against getting it, but getting it without contact is a little trickier. Total Wine Co. has a way. You just flash your ID, at least that's the case in some states. I don't know about Nevada. It can be delivered or picked up. I am guessing that pickups require going inside the store. I may find out soon, depending on how much I want that glass. What I miss a lot is being able to go out to a nice place and have a glass of wine. Instead of wine I whine. 


2,774,766 confirmed cases worldwide
194,434 deaths worldwide

894,034 confirmed cases US
50,919 deaths US

4,208 confirmed cases Nevada
195 deaths Nevada





No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beat Goes On

Here it is July, the middle of July, and Covid-19 is here with a vengeance. We are faced with thousands of cases every day, so many deat...